Senior Optical Engineer
The ideal candidate for the Senior Optical Engineer position will have demonstrated experience specifying, designing, testing, and qualifying optical modules and individual components for use in next generation agile optical networks. In addition, the individual will work in the transmission laboratory to define and validate transmission models and component/module performance.
The candidate must have broad experience in the field of optics and be able to fully evaluate transmission issues as they relate to the specifications on individual components and sub-modules. Competency should span all relevant disciplines (transmission, optical, mechanical, electronics) with expertise in optical performance specification.
• Develop complete specifications for optical components and modules that reflect the downstream capabilities of the components as well as the upstream requirements for the circuit pack or system.
• Design optical fabric simulations and modeling of optical systems with design and modeling tools such as Zemax and Matlab.
• Validate transmission performance of complete optical transmission systems; conduct experiments to characterize components and subsystems.
• Help develop manufacturing, assembly and qualification processes to build products.
• Troubleshoot optical issues in bench-top and prototype modules, prove proposals for performance improvements and implement solutions.
• Work closely with suppliers to resolve any issues related to performance, qualification status and cost of components.
• Interface with operations team to develop documentation and test processes related to modules.
• Investigate and quantify benefits of new optical techniques as they are incorporated into the product.
• Support customer facing activities: RFQs, Specs, etc.
• Ph.D. with 10+ years experience with DWDM components and DWDM transmission or similarly complex optical subsystems.
• In-depth understanding of optical transmission issues, especially as they relate to systems with intelligent and highly automated optical layers. This includes dynamics of modules and components, fiber propagation issues and impairments from sources that are statistical in nature such as PMD.
• Candidate should have a solid understanding of optical performance parameters (bandwidth, IL, PDL, PMD, CD, ripple) and specification sensitivity and interdependencies - especially as they relate to agile optical networks.
• In-depth understanding of optical sub-systems, including wavelength selective switches, optical monitors and dispersion compensators.
• Experience with design and release to manufacturing of complex, integrated, optical subsystems.
• Experience with writing optical design specifications and test plans.
• Experience with a variety of test and measurement equipment including optical spectrum analyzers and interferometers.
• Demonstrated experience with general fiber handling practices and working knowledge of optical coatings and optical component fabrication techniques.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical for document creation and vendor interaction. Strong organization skills and data analysis skills are required.
• Proficiency with VB, Excel, database tools, GPIB equipment and product life-cycle management systems is required.
• Experience leading technical teams, mentoring junior engineers, and managing technical development projects is highly desired.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com in PDF or MS Word format.
Return to job listing
A note to all applicants
Thank you for your interest in Nistica. Due to high number of responses, we cannot respond to all applicants. Qualified applicants will be contacted. Applicants' resumes will be kept on file and considered for other opportunities as they become available.
Please submit resumes in PDF or MS Word format.
Nistica is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.